"1 Seek Your Face, 0 Lord." These words of the Psalmist (Ps. 27:8) reflect the unfathomable desire of a simple priest to seek the face of Jesus. He found it in the face of the poor, not the materially destitute, but those hungry and thirsty for an intimacy with a loving God.
Fr. Fray de Urdaneta was a Spanish Augustinian friar, sail captain and explorer who was in the Legaspi Expedition that left Spain for the Philippines on Novembe 21, 1564 on board the ship Capitana that sailed along with the galleons San Pablo and San Pedro and the tenders of San Juan and San Lucas.
The struggle for a free and independent nation, coupled with the desire to have a Church that genuinely serves the interest of the people triggered the birth of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente – a historic, nationalist and independent Church – which was proclaimed by the Union Obrera Democratica (UOD) on August 3, 1902.
The Madonna and Child as subject of art is definitely Christian in origin and symbol. It fascinated artists for centuries and were made as icons for worship in Christian churches.
In the Philippines, artists have made countless renditions of mother and child from classical to modern art.
Graciano Lopez Jaena was born on December 18, 1856 in Jaro, Iloilo. He came from a lowly family which has strong values in education and religion. His father Placido Lopez, is a general repairman while his mother, Maria Jacoba Jaena is a seamstress. He studied at the Seminario Tejaro and at an early age: he was placed under the care of Reverend Francisco Jayme who enhanced and developed his skills in speech. Since his ambition was to become a doctor, he tried to enroll at the University of Santo Tomas but was deprived of access due to lack of requirements.
Many Jesuit missionaries who left China in 1949 found a new home and mission in the overseas Chinese community of the Philippines. Eventually, through sheer determination, perseverance, and faith, an international group of Jesuits led by the late Frs. Jean Desautels, Louis Papilla, and Cornelius Pineau set up Xavier School (Kuang Chi).
THE VIRGIN OF CAYSASAY
In 1603, a fisherman by the name of Juan Maningcad caught a little statue of the Blessed Virgin of the Immaculate Conception, about 10 1/2 inches tall, in his net while fishing along the Pansipit River in Barrio Caysasay of the town of Taal, Batangas. On seeing this marvel, Juan did not know what to say or do. He prostrated himself before the image and began to pray. The news spread and when it reached the town, the parish priest and judge went to Juan's house. Upon seeing the beautiful image of the Mother of God, they knelt down to venerate it and decided to take the statue to Taal, where a grand fiesta was celebrated and to this day continues to be celebrated on December 8 in honor of the Virgin.
VESAK DAY is a day of great significance not only to Buddhists but also to advocates of peace, compassion and unity. This day falls on the day of the full moon on the month of May each year and marks three important events in the life Gautama Buddha. It is the day of His Birth (583 B.C.); it was on this day that He subsequently gaineq Enlightenment; and it was also on this day that He entered Parinirvana (the passing away of Buddha’;s physical body).
In 1601 the Jesuit Vice-Provincial, Fr. Diego Garcia founded the Colegio de San Jose and placed Fr. Pedro Chirino as its first rector. As later authorized by both the civil and ecclesiastical authorities, the purpose of this college was “to train ministers of the gospel” This was the start of the modem San Jose Seminary. Classes opened on August 1, 1601, and on August 25 of the same year the college received full approval.
Colegio de San Bedawas founded by Spanish Benedictine monks from the Abbey of Montserrat who had come to the Philippines in 1895 to work as missionaries in Surigao. Aftertheir imprisonment by Filipino revolutionaries in 1899, the monks came to Manila and decided to go into education. The school opened on June 1 7, 1901 in a two-stored building on Arlegui Street, with 212 students. Under an agreemenl signed in 1906, the University of Santo Tomas recognized the courses offered by the school. In 1910 the Colegio was granted government recognition, In 1918, it was officially renamed San Beda College.