Trivia about the Sacred Heart School-Hijas de Jesus in Cebu City
In the early 1950s, a thriving Catholic Chinese Community in Cebu City requested the Archbishop of Cebu to petition Rev. Fr. Paul O’Brien, S.J., superior of the Jesuits of the China mission to take care of the needs of the Cebu Chinese community.
In June 1954, Sacred Heart School was housed in a temporary building at the corner of Manalili and Mabini Streets. Four hundred boys and girls (Kinder to Grade VI) attended classes. The Augustinian Recolletos of then Colegio de San Jose, now the University of San Jose Recoletos generously gave this new Jesuit school a legal status by affiliating it to their school and supporting it with a contingent of lay faculty members including their Principal.
Subsequently, by June 8, 1956, on the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the first building of Sacred Heart School for boys and girls was built. Hijas de Jesus Sisters namely Eloisa Alonso (Superior), Margarita Li, Teresa Hong, Maria Chang, Pilar Ferreiro and Rosario Justiniani tended to the girls in the same campus as the boys.
May 8, 1957 marked the beginning of Sacred Heart School for girls with the laying of the cornerstone on a lot located at Camia Street (now Don Jose Avila Street). By November 13, 1957, all the girls from kindergarten to high school (Yrs. I & II) and the kinder boys transferred to the newly constructed small wooden building, and under the administration of the Hijas de Jesus Sisters.
Sacred Heart School for Girls became a Filipino school approved by the Bureau of Private Schools ( now called the Department of Education) in 1965. In 1979, the Sacred Heart School for Girls opened admission for boys in Nursery. Then, in 1986, the school received its first 3-years accreditation status for Elementary & High School Departments from the Philippine Accrediting Association of School, Colleges & Universities (PAASCU). Since then up to the present, the school has been re-accreditated by PAASCU. In 2005, the school changed its name to Sacred Heart School-Hijas de Jesus since it has been gradually admitting boys in the elementary department.
For the past 50 years, the school has been striving to provide quality integral Christian education to its students according to the spirit, charism of BLESSED CANDIDA MARIA DE JESUS, the Foundress of the Hijas de Jesus Congregation.