Trivia about the Centro Escolar University (CEU)
Centre Escolar University was established on June 3, 1907 by Doha Librada Avelino and Dona Carmen de Luna for the instruction and training of the youth in all branches of the arts and sciences. With some benches, a single blackboard and a few books, the two educators steadfastly nurtured a dream of establishing a nationalistic center of learning for Filipino women. The first college, that of Pharmacy, opened in 1921. The Colleges of Liberal Arts, Education and Dentistry followed one after the other. Three years later, the College of Optometry was established.
Beginning as the Centre Escolar de Senoritas, the school was granted university status by the Philippine government in 1932. It has then steadily grown as an institution under the leadership of noted educators who have contributed much to the development of their respective professions. Past Presidents include Dr. Pilar Hidalgo-Lim, an educator and civic leader, Dr. Dionisio C. Tiongco, another renowned scholar and educator, and Dr. Lourdes T. Echauz, a distinguished philanthropist and educator. The immediate past President, Dr. Rosita L. Navarro is a recognized educator, role model, leader of knowledge workers and an advocate of the balance between globalization and Filipinization. The current President, Dr. Ma. Cristina D. Padolina, was a former Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Chancellor of the University of the Philippines Open University.
With four campuses and over 50 academic programs, CEU has gone far beyond its founders’ vision, buildings steps towards dreams and goals of the Filipino youth.