Trivia about the Ozamiz Cotta
Standing at the western entrance of Panguil Bay in Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental, the Fuerte dela Conception Y Del Triunfo is one of the four oldest surviving stone fortresses in the country today. Named after the Spanish armada flagship “Triunfo”, the fort was built in 1756 under the guidance of Juan Nepomuceno Paver S. J. and Fr. Jose Ducos S. J., a chaplain in the Spanish armada who distinguished himself in military exploits during the Misamis Campaign from 1754 – 1755.
Built as defense against Moro raids, almost 250 years ago, the fort was also used as provincial headquarters by the Constabulary during the American period and as garrison of the Japanese Imperial Forces during the Japanese occupation. It is popularly known as “Cotta” by the local populace and by those in the nearby provinces and cities.
In March 2002, the National Historical Institute declared the Spanish fortress as a National Historical Landmark .