Trivia about the La Consolacion College Manila
March 1, 1883 marked the inauguration of the ministerial services of the Augustinian Sisters of Our Lady of Consolacion (ASOLC) in the Philippines. It was dedicated to care for forty orphans left by the 1882 cholera epidemic and was spearheaded by Sor Rita Barcelo y Pages, the Foundress and Sor Joaquina Barcelo, the co-Foundress. They then took care of the education of twelve colegialas in Mandaluyong, Rizal.
Despite the perils of the 1896 Philippine Revolution and the Spanish-American War of 1898, the Augustinian Sisters pursued their mission as Augustinian religious and established an orphanage known as Asilo de Mandaloya and a boarding school for girls called Asilo-Colegio de Mandaloya (1889).
As fate would have it, their dedication and persistence eventually paid off and their numbers grew. Recognizing their zealousness, in 1902, the Papal Nuncio — His Excellency Monsignor Chapelle — issued a decree donating a house located at R. Hidalgo St. in Quiapo near the San Sebastian Church (now Basilica) to enable them to put up a school for women which they named COLEGIO DE LA CONSOLACION.
In July 1906, Mother Consuelo became the Mother Superior of the Augustinian Religious.
In April 1945, the Colegio de La Consolacion was officially renamed La Consolacion College. A two-year collegiate course was offered to meet the increasing demand of female students for higher education. Six years later, combined Junior Normal and Home Economics as well as Secretarial courses were established before the college’s Golden Anniversary in 1952. As gold is tested by fire to make it shining, so was the La Consolacion College was purged by World War II, and natural and man made calamities.
Rising above the difficulties that it had gone through, it successfully celebrated its Diamond anniversary in 1977 during which a Pastoral Formation Center was established in memory and honor of Mother Rita Barcelo y Pages. hrough the years, La Consolacion College has significantly met the demands of its educational evolution process in the dynamic human history and culture. Her membership in various educational associations like the Catholic Education association of the Philippines (CEAP), the Mendiola Consortium (MC), the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU), the Philippine Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (PASCB), the Philippine Society for Educational Research and Evaluation (PSERE) and the Philippine Accreditation of Colleges and Universities – Commission on Accreditation (PACU-COA) enunciates her thrust to advocate goodwill and service to mankind, nationally as well as internationally.
In March 2001, the La Consolacion College adopted another official name: LA CONSOLACION COLLEGE MANILA to signify her adaptation, willingness and capability to cross over the threshold of the 21 st century. Her gratitude to God and His people for one hundred years of service to the Community People is manifested in her continuing commitment to Christ and His mission through renewing education.