Trivia about the Iglesia Filipina Independiente
The struggle for a free and independent nation, coupled with the desire to have a Church that genuinely serves the interest of the people triggered the birth of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente – a historic, nationalist and independent Church – which was proclaimed by the Union Obrera Democratica (UOD) on August 3, 1902.
Since then, the Church grew into a congregation of millions of new men, women & children educated by the teachings of Christ, dedicated to the worship of God in spirit and in truth, nourished and sustained in the Eucharist and commissioned to be witnesses to God’s love to the world. Throughout the Church’s existence, its members have earnestly pursued the Church’s vision of a “Philippine nation that is free from foreign domination, where justice and peace reign, and its people are united in active witness to God’s love to the world”.
As a community of faith steeped in the nationalist history and workers’ struggle in the Philippines, the men, women and children of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente have steadfastly affirmed the Church’s commitment to its historical mission and ministry in empowering the poor, the deprived and the oppressed. The Church has conscientiously pursued its mission through its liberative education as well as by organizing and mobilizing the Filipino people in pursuing life to its fullness.
After one hundred years of faithfulness to God, the IFI — through missionary work and service to the Filipino people– has established 35 dioceses, more than 700 parishes and more than 7,000 mission stations, three (3) seminaries and several schools that are spread across the Philippines, the USA and Canada.
Today, the Obispo Maximo – elected every six years by the General Assembly – serves as the Spiritual Head of over six million IFI faithful and Chief Executive Officer of the Church.