Trivia about St. Scholastica’s College
The turn of the twentieth century brought about dramatic changes in the life of the Philippines. In I898, Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States. Then in 1902 the Philippine Education Act established the system of public schools, and no religious instruction was allowed in those schools. There was a great need for English-speaking teachers, new Catholic schools and missionaries as most of the Spanish missionaries and clergy had left the country.
Among the new religious that opened new schools were Sisters from a young missionary congregation in Germany – the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing. Arriving in Manila on September 14, 1906, they started their mission: educating young and old, in schools and in outlying places, helping communities towards self-help and better livelihood; healing the sick, caring for the environment, for those in welfare institutions, seasides, farms, providing special education for the lumads and the Aetas.
In 1906 there were 5 of them, all Germans, bringing Christ’s love to the Filipinos. Today there are more than 200 of them, mostly Filipinos, spreading that same love, not only in our country but in other countries too: India, Korea, Argentina, Spain, Australia, Angola, Germany, Bulgaria, Namibia, Tanzania, Italy, Portugal.