Trivia about St. Luke’s Medical Center

Founded in 1903 by American Episcopal missionary Charles Brent, St. Luke’s Hospital started as a nine-bed ward and dispensary named Mosher Hall. In 1907, it became the University Hospital. Over the next three decades, bed capacity at St. Luke’s Hospital increased to 140 beds. During the Japanese Occupation, the hospital’s name was changed to Nippon Byoin.

In 1959, St. Luke’s Hospital moved to its new site in Cathedral Heights. Already a 190 bed hospital by then, it had a neuro-psychiatric unit, a cobalt therapy unit, and a physiotherapy department, all new health services for the community.

The era of St. Luke’s Hospital as a church-owned institution ended in August of 1975. Stewardship was transferred to a board of trustees, and St. Luke’s Hospital became an independent, non-sectarian, non-profit, non-stock corporation with income continuously reverting back to the hospital for acquisition of world–class equipments, funding of medical research, and providing charity medical care. In line with these, the hospital was renamed St. Luke’s Medical Center in 1984.

In 1991, St. Luke’s Medical Center was cited by both the Asian Institute of Management and the World Executive Digest, in their First Annual Management Awards, as one of Asia’s Outstanding Companies.

Today, the 650-bed hospital facility has nine institutes, namely: Heart, Radiology, Pathology, Pulmonary Medicine, Ophthalmology, Neurosciences, Digestive Diseases, Cancer, and Orthopedics and Sports medicine. It has thirteen departments, namely: Surgery, Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Anaesthesiology, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Emergency Medicine, Out-Patient Care, Radiation Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, Legal Medicine and Jurisprudence, and Dentistry and Oral Surgery. And it has three centers, namely: Geriatric, Pain Management, and Stone and Prostrate Treatment. Adjacent is the Medical Arts Building and the Cathedral Heights Building Complex, where over 1,000 hospital-affiliated medical consultants see outpatients in more than 500 private clinics. Also located within the compound is the St. Luke’s College of Medicine – William H. Quasha Memorial.

St. Luke’s Medical Center has the perfect synergy of state-of-the-art technology and first class human resources in its continuing pursuit in providing high quality health care and services to the country. And in the same breadth, it has maintained its lead in the hospital industry and lived up to its credo, “World Class Technology and Expertise in Caring Hands,”

You may also like...

Leave a Reply