Trivia about the Philippine School for the Deaf
The Philippine School for the Deaf, formerly known as the School for the Deaf and Blind, is the pioneer school for the handicapped in the country and in Asia. It is a semi-residential school and the only government owned institution for the deaf in the country.
It started in 1907 when Dr. David P. Barrows, the Director of Education in the Philippines invited to the country Miss Delia Delight Rice of Columbus, Ohio, a teacher of the deaf and daughter of deaf parents. The program started with a class of three pupils from the provinces (two deaf and one blind) in a house in Ermita, Manila.
In June 1923, it occupied the present building, a large two-storey and semi-concrete structure along Harrison Boulevard on a lot donated by an anonymous American lady. Since then, a number of buildings have been constructed for the diverse educational program and services provided for the needs of the hearing impaired.
Effective June 1963 by virtue of RA 3562, the School for the Deaf was separated from the Philippine National School for the Blind. In July 1970, the institution was renamed Philippine School for the Deaf since it started catering only to the educational needs of the hearing impaired. It redirected its thrusts in 1986 to serve as an educational, research, resource and service center.
The school prides itself with the basic technology like numerous assistive listening devices and other aids for the unique needs of children with hearing impairment.
The school is using the Modified Basic Education Curriculum (MBEC) in the elementary and secondary levels with special subjects as Language, Speech, Speech Reading, Rhythm and Auditory Training, increased time allotment for Communication Arts and the introduction of Filipino in Grade III. It uses English as the language of education and Simultaneous Communication as its mode of instruction while subscribing to the Philosophy of Total Communication.
It has a staff of 93 teaching and 38 non-teaching personnel with an Assistant Special Schools Principal and a Special Schools Principal under the administration of the City Schools Division Superintendent, Pasay City, Department of Education-National Capital Region.