Stamps featuring the Central Philippine University
The Philippine Postal Corporation will issue a stamp to commemorate the centennial of the Central Philippine University.
|Kind of Issue:||Commemorative|
|Denomination and Quantity:||P6.00 – – – – – 100,000|
|Date of Issue:||May 13, 2005|
|Last Day of Sale:||May 12, 2006|
|Sheet Composition:||50 (5×10) and 8 (4×2)|
|Size of Stamps:||40mm x 30mm|
|Printing Process:||Litho-Offset ( 4 colors)|
|Printer:||Amstar Company, Inc.|
Edward R Pormilos
Nelson A. Pomado
Randy Anthony V. Pabulayan
|Layout Artist:||Alfonso V. Divina|
|Design:||The University Church of the Central Philippine University is considered to be a landmark in lloilo City. Its unique architecture is resonant of an Indonesian style of a house built on palm leaves and bamboo. It is a constant reminder of the university's motto, "Scientia et Fides" which highlights Jesus Christ in all its teachings through which the American Baptist Missionary Society Founded it in 1905. Dr. William 0. Valentine, the first principal to what was once the Jaro Industrial School for boys, lead the mission of sharing the gospel through education. The Centennial logo symbolizes the link that binds all Centralians around the world and that is simply called the "Central Spirit". The Centennial theme: "Excel for God's Greatest Glory" expresses the message that all Centralians must become an example in both word and deed wherever they may be.|
Central Philippine University is a non-stock, non-profit Christian institution of higher learning, where a well-rounded program of education is offered under influences that strengthen faith and build up character. It was founded in 1905 as the Jaro Industrial School by missionaries of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society. It started as an elementary vocational school for poor boys who worked for their board and tuition. Dr. William O.Valentine, the first principal, worked hard to have the school incorporated and recognized by the government. His goals were reached in 1913, the year when the school began to admit female students also. In 1915, the first two years of high school were opened. In 1920, the third and fourth year classes were added and the following year the first batch of high school graduates were produced.To satisfy the growing desire of young people for education, a junior college was opened in 1923 and the name of the school was changed to Central Philippine College. The senior college was established in 1936 and by 1940, five degrees were offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Religious Education. Read more.
Stamps, miniature sheets and Official First Day Covers will be available starting 13 May 2005 at the Philatelic Service, Door 203, Liwasang Bonifacio, 1000 Manila and all Regional Offices of the Philippine Postal Corporation.