Category: History

Trivia about the Development Bank of the Philippines

Development Bank of the Philippines' history can be traced back to the Commonwealth years when the early infrastructure for development financing was laid down by the government.

In 1935, the National Loan and Investment Board (NUB) was created to coordinate and manage government trust funds such as the Postal Savings Fund and the Teachers' Retirement Fund.

 

 

Trivia about Great Filipino Cartoonists

Antonio Santos Velasquez (Tony Velasquez) was born in Paco, Manila on October 29, 1910. He is known as the "Father of Tagalog Komiks." In -1926, while a boy of 16 in high school, he worked as a photo-engraver at the Banaag Press in Santa Cruz, Manila, which was later bought by Ramon Roces of Liwayway. Velasquez took courses in Cartooning and Advertising at the Federal School of Arts of America. In 1935, he was promoted to chief artist for the six sister magazines: Liwayway, Graphic,Bannawag, Bisaya, Hiligaynon, and Bikolnon.

 

Trivia about the anniversary of the Tanduay Distillers, Inc

Tanduay traces its corporate origin to 1854 as a distillery in Hagonoy, Bulacan that was originally owned by Elias Menchatorre Y Cia. In 1860, the distillery was acquired by Ynchausti Y Cia, a partnership owned by Joaquin Elizalde, Juan Bautista Yrissary and Joaquin Ynchausti, that was later renamed Elizalde & Company, Inc. in 1935 when the Elizaldes bought the shares of Ynchausti. This small distillery was transformed by four successive generations of the Elizaldes into the modern Tanduay Distillery and the largest producer of rhum in the Philippines.

 

Trivia about the Santuario de San Antonio Parish Church

The convent and church of San Francisco de Asis in Intramuros were razed to the ground during the liberation of Manila in 1945. Instead of rebuilding at the same location, the Franciscans decided to construct a new church elsewhere.

On July 17, 1951, a contract was signed between the Franciscans and the Ayala Corporation, which agreed to donate two hectares of land at Forbes Park, Makati, Rizal, on which the Franciscans committed to construct a church and convent (California Mission-style).

 

Trivia about Great Achievers in Philippine Art I

Lapu-lapu, by Francisco V. Coching. Coching was born on January 29, 1919. He left school at an early age to work for the magazine Liwayway, where his father was a novelist. He apprenticed with Tony Velasquez. In 1934, he created Bing Bigotilyo, and the year after, Marabini. After the war, he created Bulalakaw. However, it was Hagibis, his next work, that won him fame. Hagibis, which was inspired by Kulafu of Francisco Reyes and Tarzan of Edgar Rice Burroughs, ran for 15 years in Liwayway and was followed by sequels: Anak ni Hagibis and Si Gat Sibasib. Coching's creations were sought out by producers who made movies out of them. All but three of his dozens of komiks novels were made into movies. Coching both wrote and illustrated his stories. His works had strong narrative flow, brimming with drama, and punctuated by actions and surprise. His illustrative style belonged to the romantic tradition of komiks illustration, which he dominated from 1934 until 1973, the year he retired.

 

Trivia about the San Agustin Church

The San Agustin Church, in Intramuros, marks this year the 400th anniversary of its construction. Finished in 1604, it becomes the oldest stone church in the Philippines.

The history of San Agustin dates back to 1570, year in which Legazpi founded Manila and the Augustinian fathers built the first temporary church with thatch and bamboo on the land donated to them by Legazpi himself. Three other churches were built and destroyed by fire. In 1586 the Augustinians, triggered by the new technique of stone cutting and lime and sand mixing, imported by Jesuit Antonio Sedeno, approved a resolution to construct a new church entirely of hewn stone.

 

Trivia about the First Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day

Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day (Ora de la Amistad Hispano-Filipina) is celebrated on the 30th of June of each year. It was declared under Republic Act No. 9187, authored by Senator Edgardo J. Angara and was enacted last February 2003, to commemorate the cultural and historical ties, friendship and cooperation between the Philippines and Spain.

 

Trivia about the Benguet Corporation

Benguet Corporation was incorporated on August 12, 1903 by two former American soldiers-mining prospectors and a soda fountain owner, who were among the many Americans who stayed in the Philippines after the Spanish-American War. The Company pioneered modern gold mining operation in the country and ushered the beginning of the Philippine mining industry. Benguet Corporation opened its first gold mine in 1906 in Antamok and in 1927 acquired and operated the gold mines in nearby Balatoc and Acupan, all located in the Benguet province.

 

Trivia about the Filipino Legacy in Hawaii

It was in December 20, 1906 that the ship Doric docked at Honolulu, carrying fifteen Filipinos (one of whom brought along his fighting cock) along with a handful of Chinese, Japanese and Sikhs. Eleven of the Filipinos were single, four were married. The oldest was fifty-six and the youngest was fourteen. All of them originated from the coastal area of Candon in llocos Sur. Little did these men know that they were making history by being the firs group of Filipinos to settle in Hawaii, part of what became the first wave of Filipino migration to the United States of America.

 

Trivia about the Baguio Country Club

In the year 1900 the U.S. Secretary of State Elihu Root ordered the 2nd Philippine Commission "Do not forget to look for that cold place!" The Commission by then had heard of this fabled "paradise" from the Spaniards who were leaving after the Philippines had been purchased from Spain. The cold place was "Kafagway" inhabited by 30 Igorots, 10 llocanos and a white man-a German named Otto Sheerer.