Category: History

Trivia about Philippine Colonial Bridges II

Bridge building in the country is integral to the development of communities. It helps in the opening up of communities to various forms of land transport allowing thus the development of trade and relations between once distant and detached areas. The early history of bridge building was attributed to both the Spanish missionaries and conquistadors. During the early period of American rule, the Bureau of Public Works was created to initiate further the task of linking the Philippines together with spans that for some still serve the commuting public. The bridges highlight an architectural and engineering form that has served nobly the interest of the country.

Trivia about the different landmarks in Taguig City

TAGUIG CITY HALL – Taguig seat of government was originally situated in Brgy. Sta. Ana and was later transferred to Brgy. Tuktukan in the early 1970s. After enduring various calamities throughout its 20-year history, the building then suffered severe structural damages. In2003, the Taguig Municipal Hall underwent a major facelift, through the initiatives of current mayor Sigfrido Tinga. The newly-renovated building was inaugurated on April 24, 2004,in time with Taguig's 4l7th Founding Anniversary.On December 8 of the same year, Taguig was declared a city, by virtue of Comelec's en banc decision confirming the results of the 1998 plebescite and ratifuing its conversation from municipality to a highly urbanized city.

FORT BONIFACIO – Now considered the seat of progress in Taguig, Fort Bonifacio used to be a military camp back in the American colonial period.The US government acquired a 2,578 hectare property of Taguig for military purposes and named it Fort McKinley after US President William McKinley. On May 14, 1949, Fort McKinley was finally turned over to the Philippine govemment by virtue of US Embassy Note No. 0570. In 1957, it became the permanent headquarters of the Philippine Army. It was subsequently renamed Fort Bonifacio after Andres Bonifacio, whose father, Santiago Bonifacio, was a native of Tipas, Taguig. When Fort Bonifacio was privatized and placed under the administration of the Bases Conversation Development Authority, the whole area was restored to Taguig.

 

Trivia about the Colegio de San Jose – San Jose Seminary

In 1601 the Jesuit Vice-Provincial, Fr. Diego Garcia founded the Colegio de San Jose and placed Fr. Pedro Chirino as its first rector. As later authorized by both the civil and ecclesiastical authorities, the purpose of this college was "to train ministers of the gospel." This was the start of the modem San Jose Seminary. Classes opened on August 1, 'l 601, and on August 25 of the same year the college received full approval.

 

Trivia about the United Nations Year of Dialogue among Civilizations

Reaffirming the purposes and principles embodied in the Charter of the United Nations, which, infer alia, call for collective effort to strengthen friendly relations among nations, remove threats to peace and foster international cooperation in resolving international issues of an economic, social, cultural and humanitarian character and in promoting and encouraging universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms for all,

 

Trivia about the Silliman University

Silliman University was founded as Silliman lnstitute, an elementary schoo! on August 28, 1901,by the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presblrterian Church in the U.S.A. under the terms of a gift from Dr. Horace Brinsmade Silliman, a philanthropist of Cohoes, New York. lts first president was Dr. David S. Hibbard.

 

Trivia about the Filipinos of Yesteryears as Illustrated in the Boxer Codex

Written in 1590, a manuscript which became known as the Boxer Codex provides present-day Filipinos a detailed description of the way of life of the inhabitants of the Philippines during the first century of the Spanish contact in the Philippines. The manuscript came into the hands of Charles R. Boxer. an American scholar and an expert on orients history and Colonial Asia. The papers are now in the Lyle Collection in Indiana, USA.

Trivia about the Development Bank of the Philippines

Development Bank of the Philippines' history can be traced back to the Commonwealth years when the early infrastructure for development financing was laid down by the government.

In 1935, the National Loan and Investment Board (NUB) was created to coordinate and manage government trust funds such as the Postal Savings Fund and the Teachers' Retirement Fund.

 

 

Trivia about the “Parisian Life” by Juan Luna

"Parisian Life", also known as "Interior d'un Cafe" was painted in c 1892 by Juan Luna. The oil on canvass painting, 22 inches long ~ and 31 inches in width, and now housed at the GSIS Museum of fA Art-Pasay City, features three Filipino patriots – Jose Rizal, Juan Luna, and Ariston Bautista Lin. It was given by Juan Luna to Ariston Bautista Lin who kept it in his Quiapo house, site of the Propaganda and Katipunan movements.